Mentor


Undergraduate participation is vital to my research.  Undergraduates have been instrumental in keeping us on track in our current huge, multi-population, multi-generational project.  I have helped to train each cohort (one each quarter, five quarters each year, approximately totaling 15 cohorts with 10-20 students each) of undergraduates at UCSB.


In return, I have taken students to the field.
Definitely a valuable experience, but perhaps
not pleasurable given the very hot conditions
mid-summer (100's +) and sometimes difficult footing.  The field, however, is where I am really able to assess a student's strength and perseverance.


I have also helped to prepare students to give poster and powerpoint presentations at local, regional, and national events.



Students that I helped to mentor
are now at such places as  graduate school
 in Ireland, at their chosen program to become a high school teacher, transferred from a 2 year to 4 year institution.